We are working with schools across England to share good practice and develop relevant, accessible tools and training.
By taking part in the programme, schools will be able to show they are meeting the needs of this particularly vulnerable pupil group (specifically mentioned in Ofsted's Common Inspection Handbook, 2015). As many as 1 in 12 pupils could be a young carer.
Get involved - schools supporting young carers map
We are calling on all schools that are working to identify and support young carers to showcase their commitment to young carers by adding their school to the Young Carers in Schools map.
Young carers research
- 27% of young carers (aged 11-15) miss school or experience educational difficulties (40% where children care for a relative with drug or alcohol problems) (Dearden, C, Becker, S, 2004).
- They have significantly lower educational attainment at GCSE level – the difference between nine Cs and nine Ds (Children's Society, 2013).
- A quarter of young carers said they were bullied at schools because of their caring role (Carers Trust, 2013).
What you can access through the Young Carers in Schools programme
- A baseline review enabling you to prioritise what to do next, this tool contains helpful signposts to the programme materials most relevant and useful to you.
- Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff resource contains essential tools, templates and guidance. With a tool for each step, no school needs to start from scratch.
- Webinars, videos and case studies – providing unmissable, expert advice from award-winning schools, unpicking hot topics, and highlighting key guidance on how to apply successfully for a Young Carers in Schools Award.
- Professional development events - bringing together schools and those working with them, these half-day events enable you to tackle common challenges, share good practice and gain expertise.
- Termly eNewsletters – spotlighting key policy developments and new resources, and the very latest programme news.
- Young Carers in Schools Award – enabling your school to gain recognition from several leading charities for effective practice.
- For further information visit www.youngcarersinschools.com