Top Tips for Excellent Soft Skills When Employed in a Customer Facing Role
The wonderful staff at The People’s Postcode Lottery’s customer experience team share their top tips for excellent soft skills when employed in a customer facing role:
- Smile when answering the phone. Your voice can let them know they are through to someone positive. Listen and understand.
- Treat every customer like it's your first of the day! You may have said the information a lot of times but it will be the first time they have heard it.
- Ask some open questions- get a little chit chat going, make the individual feel at ease.
- If a customer is frustrated or angry, it’s not directed at you even if it feels like that. It's usually the situation they are in or the company they are angry at.
- Be passionate about the lottery, show you're genuine excitement for winners and all the incredible charities we support. Take every opportunity to build rapport and leave a great impression of PPL on every call.
- Listen to what the customer wants, smile while on calls, be understanding.
- Look at their details to start up a rapport. It might say on the email what they do as a job or an unusual name or street name.
- It’s okay not to know the answer - just advise them you are going to put them on hold while you get the correct information. Most people are very forgiving if you are upfront with them.