We want Young Carers Awareness Day (or YCAD) 2017 to be a day where everyone recognises the challenges that young carers face.
When I grow up
We want people to understand how difficult it can be for young carers to realise their hopes and dreams for the future unless they have the right support in place.
This year's theme is 'When I grow up' and it's all about helping young carers to achieve their dream jobs or career, and we want everyone to be a part of it.
We'll be highlighting how for the 700,000 young carers across the UK who are caring for their sick or disabled mum, dad, brother or sister, this is impacting their lives.
Watch our CEO Gail Scott-Spicer tells us what she wanted to be when growing up and give some tips to the 700,000 young carers out there in the UK.
Thank you for getting involved
A huge thank you to everyone who got involved in Young Carers Awareness Day 2017. Read more about it our news stories:
- Young carers at risk of not fulfilling their ambitions show new figures on Young Carers Awareness Day (26 January 2017)
- A wowzer moment for young carers (30 January 2017)
Here's some fun things you can do:
- Share what you're doing on social media using the hashtag #YoungCarersAwarenessDay (and if you like #whenIgrowup), tweet us @CarersTrust or post on our Carers Trust Facebook page.
- Text YCAD17 £3 to 70070 to donate.
Free resources and materials
Download and use our special 'When I grow up' posters:
- When I grow up... I want to be a businessman (PDF, 141KB)
- When I grow up... I want to be a firefighter (PDF, 150KB)
- When I grow up... I want to be a nurse (PDF, 155KB)
- When I grow up... I want to be a rock star (PDF, 163KB)
Anyone can get involved in YCAD. See what you can do by downloading our 'How to get involved in YCAD' poster (PDF, 85KB) - there are ideas for Carers Trust Network Partners, parliamentarians, local councillors, health care professionals, GPs, charities and other organisations.
Download free YCAD materials for schools:
- Find out Who young carers are and what they do (PDF, 592KB)
- Use our YCAD 2017 promotional posters (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Read Stories of young carers, take a quiz and be a young carer Agony Aunt (PDF, 169KB)
- See Fun ideas for school activities and lessons (PDF, 587KB)
- Infographic: the impact of the Young Carers in Schools initiative (PDF, 113KB)
- Things your school can do during YCAD (PDF, 57KB)
- You can download Welsh versions of some of these materials on our Professionals website