The project also includes working with young adult carers to support them in the process of applying to, and staying at, university.
The project has been successful in achieving the following:
- Securing commitment from eight universities to implement carer-friendly policies
- Equipping young adult carers starting university with a 'starter pack' of essentials
- Hosting a 'taste of university life' day at several universities across Wales so that young adult carers can experience a taster lecture, have a tour of campus, and to learn about student finance and support
- Hosting workshops for young adult carer support workers in conjunction with The Open University in Wales
- Hosting residential experiences at Bangor University
- Developing a Young Adult Carer Council made up of carers from across Wales, who will seek to influence policy affecting carers and speak on their behalf
- Hosting a conference which brought together widening access staff from universities across Wales, to increase awareness and share best practice of how best to support carers
The project will come to an end in April 2019 and we are working with universities to develop and share their learning from participating in this project.