Counselling for carers

If you're a carer, counselling is a chance to focus on you and think about what you want.

A counsellor is a qualified listener who can help you think about your situation, look at your options, and find ways to cope. When you talk to a counsellor you will get the chance to explore your feelings, including your relationship with the person you care for. They can help you find your own solutions and make decisions about your life. 

Face-to-face, phone and online counselling

When you have counselling you usually meet someone face to face. 

If you struggle to get out you may want to consider phone or online counselling. Find out more about online and telephone counselling on the Counselling Directory website. 

Talk to your GP

It is a good idea to talk to your GP about how you are feeling.  

They will be able help you find the right sort of support. This may be counselling but it could be another sort of therapy or treatment.

They will know about what sort of counselling is available locally and may also be able to give you self-help leaflets and website links.  Some practices have counsellors based at their surgeries.

Counselling on the NHS

You may be able to get counselling free on the NHS. Find out more from your GP.

Counselling at local carer services

Some carer services offer counselling. Check with your local carer service to see what is available near you. 

There may be other organisations that offer carers counselling near where you live. Your GP will be able to help you find suitable local counselling.  

Other therapies, including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)

As well as counselling there are other therapies including psychotherapy, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and group/family therapy. Find out more on NHS Choices - talking therapies explained. Your GP will be able to help you find the right sort of therapy for your situation. 

Finding a private counsellor

You may want to find your own counsellor, and pay for sessions yourself. Ask your GP or you can search online for counsellors near you on the Counselling Directory. The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) may also be able to help.