Support for working carers

If you work and you are a carer your employer may be able to help with flexible working, taking time off and achieving a better work/life balance.

If you work you should tell your employer that you are a carer. They may have carer friendly policies that can help you achieve a better work/life balance.

Ask your local council for a carer’s assessment which is a chance to discuss your needs with your local council. They may be able to offer you support. They should take into account if you want to stay in work or start working if you are not working. 

Right to flexible working

If you find it difficult to balance your work life with your caring responsibilities (and your other commitments) you may want to ask for flexible working.

Taking time off

Find out about taking time off work in an emergency involving a dependant. This is known as time off for dependants.

Dealing with change

When there is a big change in the condition of the person you care for, your work life can be seriously disrupted and you may recognise that you are going to have to ask for some help.

Find out more about dealing with change

Further information

Working Families is a charity that specialises in advice about flexible working and part-time working for parents and carers.

In Scotland, the Carer Positive scheme is a Scottish Government initiative that aims to encourage employers to create a supportive working environment for carers in the workplace.

If you are an employer, Employers for Carers looks at flexible working and wider issues facing carers who want to work.

Date revised: 28/09/2018