Studying and training
Many local carer services offer training courses for carers and former carers, or find out about other courses you can take locally or online. Studying or training can offer you new opportunities and a chance to build confidence.
Getting into studying
- Contact your local carer service to find out what is available for carers and former carers where you live.
- Your local council is likely to have an Adult Learning Service that will offer classes at a variety of venues or online. Use Find your local council and then search your council website for adult learning.
- LearnDirect offers online and workplace learning.
- Use the National Careers Service to search for local courses and find out more about funding.
- Find out about other courses you can study online, often free of charge.
- Find out about courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
- Or contact your local library, community centre, council offices or college and ask about courses. The people there will be pleased to help and offer support.
Find your local carer service
Digital courses - using computers, tablets, the internet, social media and mobile phones
Paying for study
Find out about financial help towards paying for your studying:
- Family Action’s Educational Grants Programme gives grants to individuals over the age of 14, looking to unlock their educational potential by participating in further education.
- In Scotland, Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) gives financial support to eligible 16 to 19 year olds who want to continue learning. See the mygov.scot website.
- Get in touch with your local carer service as staff may be able to help you find other grants and loans that suit your situation. They will help you work out if any other benefits you claim might be affected.
- See the UCAS website for more information about paying for university courses and support while you study. The site has information covering England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There may also be special grants that could help you meet the costs of studying.