Studying and training

Many local carer services offer training courses for carers and former carers. Studying or training can offer you new opportunities and a chance to build confidence.

Getting into studying

  • Contact your local carer service to find out what is available for carers and former carers where you live. 
  • Your local council is likely to have an Adult Learning Service that will offer classes at a variety of venues. Use Find your local council and then search your council website for adult learning.
  • LearnDirect offers online and workplace learning.
  • Use the National Careers Service to search for local courses and find out more about funding.
  • Find out about other courses you can study online, often free of charge.
  • Find out about courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
  • Or visit your local library, community centre, council offices or college and ask about courses. The people there will be pleased to help and offer support.

Digital courses - using computers, tablets, the internet, social media and mobile phones

Returning to learning - PEARL website

The PEARL website (which stands for Part-time Education for Adults Returning to Learn) can help if you want to return to learning. It has lots of good links and resources, and can help you find the right course for you. It is aimed at adults who live in  England or Wales, and is part of an Open University-led initiative. See this short video which explains how to use the site:

Paying for study

Find out about financial help towards paying for your studying: 

  • Family Action’s Educational Grants Programme gives grants to people who want to unlock their educational potential by participating in further education. You don’t have to be a carer to apply. You may qualify if you are over 14 and on a low income. This is only available in England. 
  • In Scotland, the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is available to eligible people aged 16 to 19 who have reached school leaving age. See EMAs and me on the website.
  • Get in touch with your local carer service as staff may be able to help you find other grants and loans that suit your situation. They will help you work out if any other benefits you claim might be affected. 
  • The Carers Scholarships Fund offers carers across the UK the opportunity to study for an Open University course free. 
  • See the UCAS website for more information about paying for university courses and support while you study. The site has information covering England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There may also be special grants that could help you meet the costs of studying. 

Date revised: 03/03/2020