Young Carers in Schools. Step 2: Reviewing your School's Provision for Young Carers
- Step 2 Reviewing your Schools Provision for Young Carers
- Step 2 Tool 1 Baseline Review
- Step 2 Tool 2 Template for Making Recommendations
- Step 2 Tool 3 How to Gather Young Carers Views
- Step 2 Tool 4 Gathering Data Primary Schools
- Step 2 Tool 5 Gathering Data Secondary Schools
- Step 2 Tool 6 Surveying Staff Understanding and Confidence
This step, taken from Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff, supports schools to review their current provision for young carers.
Whether your school has been developing systems to identify and support young carers over many years, or is developing or just starting to develop its provision for young carers, a key next step to using this Step-by-step Guide is carrying out a baseline review. By reviewing your school's current provision for young carers, you will identify strengths, weaknesses and priorities, and agree actions to be taken forward.
Step 2: Reviewing your School's Provision for Young Carers provides introductory information about:
- The key members of staff to involve in this review
- The tools available to support schools to review its provision for young carers
- How to achieve best practice when reviewing provision
This step is taken from Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-Teaching Staff. The steps from this guide are designed to be used in order.
The following tools have been developed with school staff to support you to review your provision:
- Step 2, Tool 1: Baseline Review template
- Step 2, Tool 2: A template proforma for making recommendations to school leaders
- Step 2, Tool 3: How to gather young carers' views about your schools provision
- Step 2, Tool 4: Gathering attendance, attainment and progress data -primary schools
- Step 2. Tool 5: Gathering, attendance, attainment and progress data-secondary schools
- Step 2, Tool 6: Survey to assess levels of school staff understanding and confidence in meeting young carers' needs step
What to do next
Once you have secured the commitment of your school leaders, go to Step 3: Securing commitment of school leaders.