There are also courses specially for carers who look after someone with dementia: online training for dementia carers.
Courses to help you build your confidence in caring
Your local carers services may run sessions or groups that can build your confidence and help you cope with your caring role. Find your local carer service.
Caring for adults - online course from OpenLearn Works
Caring for adults is an introductory course for anyone in a caring role, either paid or unpaid. It builds on what you already know to give you a better understanding of your role as a carer. It also supports your own wellbeing by giving you some ideas and information about looking after yourself and dealing with stress.
The course is free and you can can study without enrolling. However, the course gives you the opportunity to earn digital badges as a recognition of your learning. To collect these badges you'll need to enrol at The Open University, which can be done very easily.
Find out more about the Caring for adults course on the OpenLearn Works website.
This course is one of six free online courses from the Social Partnerships Network.
The other courses are:
- Introducing practical healthcare;
- Supporting children’s development;
- Planning a better future;
- Taking part in the voluntary sector; and
- Starting your small business.
What about me? - online course for carers in Wales
There is a free five hour online course for carers in Wales called What about me? It will help you to identify and reflect on your experiences, interests, skills and your future aspirations.
Find out more on What about me? A personal development course for carers in Wales.
The course is available in Welsh and English. It was developed by The Open University in Wales and Carers Trust Wales, and it is full of case studies from real carers sharing their experiences and reflections.
Other online courses
- OpenLearn Works also offer lots of other free online courses on a wide range of subjects: search for free online courses on OpenLearn Works.
- OpenLearn Cymru also offers lots of other free online ocurses on a wide range of subjects.
- Learndirect offers some free courses on maths, english, IT and skills for work.
- Learn My Way offers free online courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online.
- Future Learn offers free online courses from top universities and specialist organisations.
- Vision2learn offers some free courses if you are over 19 and live in England.
Next update due: June 2018