Find out more if you, or the person you care for, are new to using the internet on Get safe online.
Remember, don’t share any private information online via email or web chat.
- Use a computer, laptop or mobile device that’s protected with up-to-date security software. Some banks have free security software you can download such as Kaspersky Internet Security software.
- Know who you’re buying from before giving your card details online or over the phone.
- Register for Verified by Visa and/or MasterCard SecureCode.
- Only enter your card details on secure sites – check the web address begins with ‘https’ and that there’s an unbroken padlock symbol in the browser address bar.
- Avoid entering your card details on shared or public computers (for example ones in a library).
- Always log out after shopping and save the confirmation email as a record of your purchase.
- Only download apps, files and programmes from trusted sources, such as official websites and app stores.
- When you log in to online banking, always type the web address into the address bar of your browser or use your bookmarks.
- Never write down your security details or passwords in a way that someone else would recognise.
Thank you to Barclays Bank Plc for helping us write this page.
Next update due: June 2017