The concert, which heralds the start of the festive season for Carers Trust, was held in St Mary-le-Bow Church in the City of London and was made possible thanks to the generous sponsorship of Carers Trust’s corporate partner, CLC World Resorts & Hotels.
Many of the guests at the concert enjoyed a pre-concert drinks reception in the impressive surroundings of nearby Mercers Hall, made possible thanks to the sponsorship of insurers, BGL Group.
All 200 guests at the concert enjoyed a beautiful programme of seasonal music and carols, led by the prestigious City of London Choir under the baton of its renowned Director, Hillary Davan Wetton.
And we were especially thrilled to welcome to the concert a choir of young carers from Northamptonshire Carers, one of Carers Trust’s Network Partners. The young carers gave a beautiful rendition of a song specially composed for them, ‘It could be me or you’, receiving a standing ovation from a delighted audience.
Actors Timothy West and Anthony Andrews interspersed the music with readings. Timothy West gave a hugely enjoyable and comic reading of Gervase Phinn’s ‘From the other side of the dale’, while Anthony Andrews followed with an incredibly poignant reading of a World War One soldier’s letter home from the trenches. And not to be outdone by the professionals, 12-year-old Abbie Major, a young carer from Northampton, delivered a reading of her own, describing the challenges she has to face every day caring for her blind father.
Gabby Logan then rounded off the concert with a heartfelt appeal on behalf of Carers Trust. The TV presenter movingly described the challenges faced by thousands of unpaid carers right across the UK before asking guests to support the work undertaken by Carers Trust to help address these challenges and make unpaid carers’ lives easier.
We are delighted to announce that the concert has raised over £21,000 for Carers Trust.
Our thanks to everyone who has helped make possible the Concert and Drinks Reception.
Carers Trust would like to offer its sincere thanks to:
- CLC World Resorts& Hotels for sponsoring the Concert and their CLC World Charity Holidays representative Gabby Logan for making the closing appeal.
- BGL Group for sponsoring the pre-concert drinks reception at the Mercers Hall.
- Timothy West and Anthony Andrews for their powerful readings.
- The City of London Choir and its Director, Hillary Davan Wetton, for the beautiful music.
- The Young Carers Choir from Northampton for such a wonderfully moving carol of their own.
- Abbie Major from Young Carers Northampton for belying her tender years with such a spirited reading.