Young Carers in Schools
Young Carers in Schools is a free initiative making it easy for schools to support young carers.
We are working with schools across England and Wales to share good practice and develop relevant, accessible tools and training.
The Young Carers in Schools (YCiS) initiative is run jointly by Carers Trust and The Children's Society.
By taking part in the programme, schools will be able to show they are meeting the needs of this particularly vulnerable pupil group (specifically mentioned in Ofsted's and Estyn's Common Inspection Handbook, 2015). As many as one in 12 pupils could be a young carer.
Young carers research
- 27% of young carers (aged 11-15) miss school or experience educational difficulties (40% where children care for a relative with drug or alcohol problems) (Dearden, C, Becker, S, 2004).
- They have significantly lower educational attainment at GCSE level – the difference between nine Cs and nine Ds (Children's Society, 2013).
- A quarter of young carers said they were bullied at schools because of their caring role (Carers Trust, 2013).
What you can access through the Young Carers in Schools programme
- A baseline review enabling you to prioritise what to do next, this tool contains helpful signposts to the programme materials most relevant and useful to you.
- Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff resource contains essential tools, templates and guidance. With a tool for each step, no school needs to start from scratch.
- Webinars, videos and case studies – providing unmissable, expert advice from award-winning schools, unpicking hot topics, and highlighting key guidance on how to apply successfully for a Young Carers in Schools Award.
- Termly eNewsletters – spotlighting key policy developments and new resources, and the very latest programme news.
- Young Carers in Schools Award – enabling your school to gain recognition from several leading charities for effective practice. See the map showing which schools have been awarded a Young Carers in School Bronze, Silver or Gold Award.
The impact of Young Carers in Schools
In our latest research, 94% of schools taking part in the Young Carers in Schools programme had a better understanding of the support required for young carers.
Sign up for the Young Carers in Schools enewsletters
They're a great and easy way for schools and those working with them to:
- Have access to key updates and information from the programme.
- Stay informed about upcoming training and events.