Free and discounted TV licences
From 1 August 2020, the BBC introduced a new scheme that offers some over 75 households a free TV Licence.
The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
- Watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel.
- Watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service.
- Download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
Free TV licences
To be eligible for a free TV licence:
- As the licence holder, you must be 75 years or older; and;
- You, or your partner living at the same address, must receive Pension Credit.
Discounted TV licences
If you are blind or in residential care you can get a discount on your TV licence.
Date revised: 04/08/2020