Young Carer Grant in Scotland
The Young Carer Grant is £359.65 (2023/2024) for young carers to spend as they choose and they can get one grant per year.
It is available for 16-18 year olds who live in Scotland, spending an average of 16 hours caring for someone who receives a disability benefit and are not entitled to Carer’s Allowance on the day they claim. Young carers can combine the hours they spend caring for more than one eligible person in order to reach the 16 hours a week requirement.
The person or people the young person is caring for must have received one or more of the following benefits for at least the last three months:
- The daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- The middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) including Child Disability Living Allowance.
- the middle or highest care rate of Child Disability Payment
- the daily living component of Adult Disability Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Constant Attendance Allowance - either:
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (at or above the normal maximum rate), or
- War Disablement Pension (at the basic rate).
Also, you can only get a Young Carer Grant if no one else has received a Young Carer Grant payment in respect of the person you care for in the last year.
How to apply for Young Carer Grant
- Phone Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222.
- Apply online on the Social Security Scotland website.
- Download a paper application form from the mygov.scot website.
Date revised: 05/09/2022