There are lots of organisations that can help you if you are a young carer or young adult carer. Carers Trust is one of them. 

Carers Trust runs a network of local carer organisations in England, Scotland and Wales. They offer information, advice, practical support and/or care in the home to unpaid carers of all ages. Many of these local carer organisations in our Network have dedicated services for young carers and young adult carers.

Emergency services

If you or someone else is at immediate risk of harm or a criminal act has been committed, call 999 immediately to get help.

Find young carer services near you

Ollie’s story

16-year-old Ollie cares for his younger brother

Advice iconGeneral advice and resources for young carers

  • Carers Trust has a wide range of helpful information and advice for young carers and young adult carers. Here are some resources specifically for young carers and young adult carers.
  • The Children’s Society works with children and young people and has lots of advice and resources for young carers on its website.
  • The Mix provides support for young people aged 25 and under on things such as mental health, relationships and money.  They run an online group chat for young carers/young adult carers which takes place on Friday evenings.
  • Young Scot is Scotland's national youth information service. Visit the website for stories from other young people on their experience of being a carer and get loads of information on caring for someone.
  • Meic is the helpline service for children and young people up to the age of 25 in Wales. Freephone: 0808 80 23456 or visit the website for other ways to get in touch.

Finance iconFinancial advice and support

  • Carers Trust has detailed information on the money and benefits you can receive, for all unpaid carers, including young carers. Read about the benefits, grants and other sources of financial help you may be able to claim.
  • Find out about financial support for young and young adult carers on Money Advice.
  • Young carers aged 16-18 in Scotland may also be eligible for a Young Carer Grant
  • Young carers across Scotland can access a package of opportunities via Young Scot Membership.


Health iconHealth advice and information

If you have an urgent medical problem or need medical advice call 111. You can also visit the NHS website or Scotland NHS Inform.

For other organisations to contact, see The Children’s Society or Young Scot in Scotland.

Work iconGetting into work

The Carers Trust handbook, Getting into Work, is for young adult carers in England who want to enter employment. It offers useful advice, whether you are looking for work for the first time, have been out of work for a while, or if you are in work but looking for a new job.

Develop your aspirations and goals through our Young Carers’ Futures programme

If you’re a young or young adult carer under 25, check out our future hub page.

Sign up to development and training sessions and find out about employment opportunities.

Your rights iconYour rights 

For young carers and young adult carers in England
  • See the Carers Trust booklet Know your Rights: Support for Young Carers and Young Adult Carers in England.
  • LawStuff gives free legal information to young people in England. LawStuff is run by Coram Children’s Legal Centre, which provides more detailed information both over the phone and online.
  • The Children’s Society's website also has information for children and young people in England on your rights.
  • The Office of the Children’s Commissioner for England speaks up for children and young people so that policymakers and decision makers take the views and interests of young people into account when making decisions about them.
For young carers and young adult carers in Scotland


Wellbeing iconWellbeing and mental health

  • Carers Trust has a wealth of resources in relation to mental health for young carers and young adult carers.
  • Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. They're there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, wherever you live in the UK.  You can call Samaritans on Freephone: 116 123, 24 hours a day, seven days a week or visit the website for more ways to get in touch. Contact Samaritans Cymru for a Welsh language service.
  • Mind provides information and support for people with mental health problems in England. Mind Cymru is Mind in Wales providing information and support in English and Welsh.

  • Young Minds offers information about looking after yourself, coping with mental health issues, feelings, symptoms and conditions, wherever you live in the UK. Services include a free 24-hour crisis messenger if you are experiencing a mental health crisis and a Parents Helpline for parents across the UK.  Find out more on the Young Minds' website.

Education iconEducation advice

Internet iconStaying safe on the internet

The UK Safer Internet Centre has online safety tips, advice and resources to help you stay safe online.