Holidays are a good way to recharge your batteries, with or without the person you care for.

There are many options available, some of which are listed below. You should also contact your local carer services to see what other options might be available locally.

  • The Family Fund can provide grants towards the cost of holidays for families on a low income who are caring for a child with a severe disability.
  • Hft produces an annual Holiday Information Guide for people with learning disabilities, carers, organisations and support groups.
  • The Family Holiday Association provides breaks at holiday sites, or grants to help with the cost of a holiday, to low-income families in need of a holiday away from home. You need to be referred by your social worker, GP or health visitor, or by a charity or other welfare agent.
  • Honeypot offers countryside respite breaks for young carers.
  • The Kiloran Trust has a house in west London for carers to stay in with the person they care for.
  • Over The Wall is a charity that supports children with serious illnesses, and their siblings and parents. It runs fun activity camps in Wiltshire, Dorset, Staffordshire and Scotland for siblings and weekend camps for the whole family unit.
  • Revitalise provides respite holidays for disabled people and carers.
  • After Umbrage is a charity providing free, short breaks for anyone who has been caring for someone with a life limiting condition. It also offers breaks to carers within their first 12 months of bereavement.
  • Leuchie House is a dedicated respite centre in Scotland providing short breaks with 24-hour care for carers and people with many kinds of long-term health conditions.

See our grants and discounts page for more about funds that may help you pay for a holiday.