Talking to the person you care for about your new job
If you are a carer and have been offered a new job, you will need to talk to the person you care for about your job and how it will affect you both.
Make it clear that the job is important to you. Let them know how excited you are about the opportunity to learn new things, gain experience and earn some money.
You might need to talk about:
- If there is someone else who can help while you are at work.
- Who the person you care for should go to if there is a caring emergency.
- If there is anything you can do to make the person you care for more comfortable while you are at work.
- The fact that sometimes work will have to come first.
- Getting an assessment from your local council. This may also include a carer's assessment for yourself.
Find out more about Working for Carers if you live in London
Working for Carers is a London-wide project that supports unpaid carers, aged 25 or over, to move closer to employment. The project is led by Carers Trust and delivered by its network of partners across London. Working for Carers is funded by the European Social Fund and The National Lottery Community Fund.
Date revised: 16/06/2020