Here are some handy tips to help you deal with any emergencies that happen:
- Get in touch with your local carer service to see if there is an emergency card scheme in your area.
- Add an ICE (In Case of Emergency) number to your phone - add the phone number of the person you would like to be called in an emergency and save their details under ICE in your contacts.
- Find out about time off in an emergency.
- See if sensors that can tell if the person you care for has fallen or wandered out of the house might help. Find out more about telecare.
- Make sure you have a carer's assessment and ask about emergency planning.
Make a list of emergency numbers
Stick a list of emergency numbers to your fridge so you have them to hand if you need them in a rush.
Make sure they include phone numbers for:
- GPs, including out of hours numbers
- Local councils (social services), including out of hours numbers
- Emergency card schemes (if you are registered)
- Other people (friends and family) who might be able to help
Next update due: June 2017