There are many options available, some of which are listed below. You should also contact your local carer services to see what other options might be available locally.
- The Family Fund can provide grants towards the cost of holidays for families on a low income who are caring for a child with a severe disability.
- hft produces an annual Holiday Information Guide for people with learning disabilities, carers, organisations and support groups.
- The Family Holiday Association provides breaks at holiday sites, or grants to help with the cost of a holiday, to low-income families in need of a holiday away from home. You need to be referred by your social worker, GP or health visitor, or by a charity or other welfare agent.
- The Children's Country Holiday Fund provides respite breaks in the countryside for young carers aged six to 16 and disadvantaged children and young people.
- The Kiloran Trust has a house in west London for carers to stay in with the person they care for.
- Kites Rise at Carers Trust Tyne and Wear Crossroads Carer Services is a short break residential facility in West Gateshead for up to 12 people across 5 bedrooms.
- The Grove Hotel in Bournemouth offers holidays for cancer patients and anyone with life threatening illnesses, and their carers. It is a not for profit hotel and the person you care for may be able to stay there with or without you.
- Ogilvie Charities fund breaks for carers.
- Over The Wall is a charity that supports children with serious illnesses, and their siblings and parents. It runs fun activity camps in Wiltshire, Dorset, Staffordshire and Scotland for siblings and weekend camps for the whole family unit.
- Revitalise provides respite holidays for disabled people and carers.
- After Umbrage is a charity providing free, short breaks for anyone who has been caring for someone with a life limiting condition. It also offers breaks to carers within their first 12 months of bereavement.
Also see our grants and discounts page for more about funds that may help you pay for a holiday.
Next update due: June 2018