There are around seven million carers in the UK – that is one in ten people. With one in eight employees also caring outside the workplace for a relative or friend who couldn’t manage without their help, it’s highly likely that you have carers working for you.
And if they’re not a carer, they probably know someone who is.
By working with Carers Trust you’ll also have a better understanding of the needs of your customers with caring responsibilities.
Why should you care about carers?
Recognising that there are carers in your workforce, and supporting them to manage their caring responsibilities and work can:
- Reduce their stress and improve their job performance and job satisfaction.
- Improve commitment to your organisation.
- Decrease staff turnover.
How you can support carers in your workforce
You may not realise you have carers working for you as they may be reluctant to discuss their personal situation and they may not be aware how you can help them in the workplace.
There are lots of practical ways you can support them including:
- Get to know your duties as an employer under the Equality Act 2010.
- Make sure carers in your workplace know who they can contact at work about caring issues.
- Set up a workplace carers group or forum – to allow carers to meet for support, information sharing and to raise the profile of caring in the organisation.
Supporting Carers Trust
Supporting Carers Trust is a very visible way to demonstrate your commitment to carers in your company.
As well as making a difference for carers across the UK, it’s also a great way of raising the profile of caring among your employees and getting a conversation going about the support carers in your workplace can access.
Carers Trust local care services help provide this support
Forging links with local services for carers and being able to signpost your employees to this valuable support will in turn help them to balance caring and work.
Find out more about how to involve your company and how we can support you.
Contact the Corporate Fundraising Team
Call: 0300 772 9600