Caring for someone with a learning disability

Find out about support available to help the person you care for reach their full potential, and to support you and your family.

Support for carers

Get in touch with your local carer service to find out how they can help you and if they have any support groups for people caring for someone with a learning disability. You should also ask your local council how they can help you, including having a carer's assessment.

There are lots of organisations that can help including:

You may also be able to get specialised support if you care for someone with :

Support for young carers

If children in your family give support and care to the person with a learning disability find out about support for young carers.

Get in touch with your local carer service to find out how they can help young carers.

Sibs is a charity for the brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults – it helps both young and adult siblings.

Coping with challenging behaviour

The Challenging Behaviour Foundation has information for carers and professionals about challenging behaviour and severe learning disabilities.

Find out more on the Challenging Behaviour Foundation website

Helping someone else manage their money

If you need to manage the finances of the person you care for, find out about helping someone else manage their money.

Supporting someone who is in the criminal justice system

See the ArcUK guidePeople with learning disabilities in the criminal justice system: a guide for carers and learning disability services

Planning for the future

As you get older you may want to put plans in place to support the person you care for when you are no longer around.

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities has produced a guide for parents of children (of any age) with a learning disability. The guide has information about legislation, emergency planning and when your child moves away from home: Thinking Ahead: supporting families to plan for the future.