If you're a carer, a carer's assessment is a chance to discuss your needs with your local council. In Scotland, a carer's assessment (for adults) is called an Adult Carer Support Plan. Your council might still refer to it as a carer's assessment.

The assessment is free and your local council will use it to decide what support to give you.

Don't be put off by the word 'assessment'. It is not a test about how good you are at caring. It is to work out what can be done to make life easier for you. No one will judge you.

The assessment is usually a face-to-face meeting with someone from your local council, or from another organisation on behalf of your local council.

How to get a carer's assessment/Adult Carer Support Plan

In some areas, other organisations may carry out the assessment for the local council but you should still contact your local council to ask for one.

Find your local council on Gov.uk and get in touch with them to find out more.

If your circumstances change you can ask for your assessment to be done again. 

This is particularly important if you can no longer provide the same level of care you have done in the past or if the needs of the person you care for change.

Further information about a carer's assessments/Adult Carer Support Plan

What a carer's assessment covers

Who can have a carer's assessment

Carer's Assessment in Wales

Find out more information on being an unpaid carer in Wales including Carer's Assessment and your rights as an unpaid carer.