Paying for a care home

If the person you care for is moving into a care home,  get advice about the best way for them to pay for a care home. It will depend on what sort of care is needed, if the move to the care home is permanent, and where in the UK they live.

If the person you care for needs a short stay in care home to give you a break, find out about paying for respite

Paying for a care home yourself

If you arrange the care home privately the person you care for will have to pay. This is called self funding.

It is still a good idea to get information and advice from your local council to make sure you know exactly what sort of support the person you care for needs. The local council can do this even if they can’t help pay for the care home. They will also check if the person you care for qualifies for any means tested support.

Get in touch with your local carer service as they may be able to help. They will also be able to support you though this change.

It is important to explore all options for paying a care home and to get suitable legal and financial advice.

Funding from your local council

Your local council may be able to help pay for a care home. They will work out if, or how much, the person you care for needs to pay after they have done an assessment of their needs. They should also offer you a carer’s assessment to make sure your needs are met.

See Local authority funding for care costs – do you qualify? on the Money Advice Service website.

Paying for a care home in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Where to find more information about paying for a care home

Financing care on Which?

Paying for permanent residential care on Age UK