Care homes

There may come a time when the person you care for can no longer be looked after at home and may need to move permanently into a care home.

If the person you care for only needs to stay in a care home for a short time, to give you a break, see our pages about respite and getting a break.

Permanently moving into a care home is a big decision. Ask for an assessment from your local council for the person you care for to help you work out if a care home would be the best option for them. You should also make sure you have had a carer’s assessment so that your needs can also be considered.

Find out more about:

Choosing a care home

Paying for a care home

Caring for someone who is in a care home

Different types of care homes 

There are different sorts of care homes that care for people with different needs:

  • Residential or rest homes – can help with personal care.
  • Nursing homes – also have qualified nursing staff who can provide nursing care. 
  • Specialised care homes for older people, people with dementia or adults with learning disabilities.
  • Care homes for children with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or emotional problems.

Visit the NHS website or Care Information Scotland to find out more.

Care home inspections

All care homes are inspected but different organisations are responsible depending which nation the care home is in.  

Care home complaints

If you, or the person you care for, aren’t happy about the care you receive at a nursing or residential care home, or from paid care workers at home, then you can say something even you don't want to make a formal complaint.

Find out more about social care, care home or paid care worker complaints.