Date Revised:

If you can no longer make your own decisions (this is often called losing capacity) then it may be necessary for an application to be made to the Court of Protection so they can appoint a suitable person to make decisions on your behalf. This person is known as a Deputy.

The Court is far more likely to appoint a Deputy for Property and Financial matters. Where an issue relates to Health and Welfare, the Court is more reluctant to appoint a Deputy to make these decisions and will usually leave matters to social services.

The process of applying to the Court of Protection is lengthy and costly and it may result in someone being appointed who you would not necessarily have chosen to manage your affairs.

Find out more about becoming a Deputy.

Thanks to Laura Ikin at NewLaw Solicitors for writing this page for us.

​Next update due: June 2017​