If you don't have a will your money, belongings and property will be split up under the Rules of Intestacy.
These are the rules prepared by the government setting out who should inherit.
The order of priority is as follows:
- Your spouse
- if there are children: you spouse gets the first £250,000 and all personal possessions and half of the remainder, the other half of the remainder is split equally between any children.
- your spouse get everything if your don't have any children.
- Children in equal shares
- Grandchildren in equal shares
- Parents in equal shares
- Brothers and sisters in equal shares
- Nieces and nephews in equal shares
- Half-brothers and half-sisters in equal shares
- Grandparents in equal shares
- Aunts and Uncles in equal shares
- Half-aunts and half-uncles in equal shares
Thanks to Laura Ikin at NewLaw Solicitors for writing this page for us.
Next update due: June 2017