Date Revised:

After you carer's assessment your local council will decide if you are entitled to support from them.

There are local eligibility guidelines the council must follow to decide what you are entitled to.  

If you are not entitled to help from the council they must give you a reason for their decision. Even if you don’t qualify for support the council should give you information about other organisations that might be able to help you.

If you are entitled to help from the council they will write a plan with you that sets out how your needs will be met. This could include getting help with housework, help with transport, or help with technology so you can keep in touch with family and friends.

The best way to help you might also be to help the person you care for.  For example, you might need a break and respite care may be the best way to do this. 

For more information visit carers' assessments: what happens next on NHS Choices.

Next update due: June 2017