Date Revised:

Many local carer services offer training courses for carers and former carers. Studying or training can offer you new opportunities and a chance to build confidence.

Getting into studying

Digital courses - using computers, tablets, the internet, social media and mobile phones

Returning to learning - PEARL website

The PEARL website (which stands for Part-time Education for Adults Returning to Learn) can help if you want to return to learning. It has lots of good links and resources, and can help you find the right course for you. It is aimed at adults who live in  England or Wales, and is part of an Open University-led initiative. See this short video which explains how to use the site: 

Paying for study

Find out about financial help towards paying for your studying: 

  • Family Action’s Educational Grants Programme gives grants to people who want to unlock their educational potential by participating in further education. You don’t have to be a carer to apply. You may qualify if you are over 14 and on a low income. This is only available in England. 
  • In Scotland, the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is available to eligible people aged 16 to 19 who have reached school leaving age. See EMAs and me on the website.
  • Get in touch with your local carer service as staff may be able to help you find other grants and loans that suit your situation. They will help you work out if any other benefits you claim might be affected. 
  • There may also be special grants that could help you meet the costs of studying. 

Next update due: September 2019