Date Revised:

If you have a low income you may be able to claim tax credits to top up the money you have coming in.

Not all carers can claim them but check if you, or the person you care for, qualify.

Working tax credit and child tax credit are both available across the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland).

Please note: Tax credits are being replaced by Universal Credit.

If you get Carer's Allowance your working tax credit or child tax credit may be reduced.

Contact the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900 (textphone: 0345 300 3909) to check.

You can also find out more online about tax credits on