Talk to the person you care for to make sure they know how to stay safe when using their debit or credit card.
- Don’t let anyone distract you when you’re using your card in a shop or at a cash machine, even if they appear to be helpful
- Sign new bank cards as soon as you get them and keep them in a safe place
- Report any lost or stolen cards immediately
- Never write your security or card details down in a way someone else might recognise
- If anything about the cash machine looks suspicious, don’t use it. Tell a member of staff or the police
- Always shield your PIN when you’re using your card
- Don’t use personal details or combinations that are easy to guess when choosing your PIN
- Never reveal your PIN to anyone, not even the bank or the police
- Never enter your card PIN into the telephone
Never hand over your card to a courier
- Never hand your card over to anyone that comes to your door, even if you have had a phone call saying someone is coming and they look genuine.
- For more information watch this great video from Barclays Bank Plc called the Courier scam (embed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0K-LgBRFkY)
For more information see protecting your cards on Barclays Bank Plc.
Thank you to Barclays Bank Plc for helping us write this page.
Next update due: June 2017