Date Revised:

Find out about financial support for you and the person you care for.

There are benefits just for carers, some for people with a disability, and some to help you if you have a low income. 

Try our online benefits calculator

Our online benefits calculator (supplied by Turn2us) makes it easier to work out which benefits you might be able to claim, and how much you could get.

Both you and the person you care for can use the benefits calculator as long you are over 18 and aren’t students. It is free to use and none of the information that you provide to Turn2us is shared with anyone else.

The benefits calculator can tell you if you might be able to claim Working tax credit, Child tax credit, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, Child Benefit, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, or Universal Credit.

Carer's Allowance

  • If you spend at least 35 hours a week caring, you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.
  • You may be able to get extra money added to your existing benefits or credits if you claim Carer's Allowance. This is called Carer Premium.

Young Carer Grant

  • Young Carer Grant is a benefit for 16-18 year olds in Scotland who spend an average of 16 hours caring for someone who receives a disability benefit.

Help with the extra costs of being disabled or having a long-term health condition.

Find out about claiming:

  • Attendance Allowance (AA) for help with personal care for people aged 65 or over.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) to help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability. (See or if you live in Northern Ireland).
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people. You can only apply for DLA if you’re under 16. Find out more about DLA for adults on For information on DLA for children, see

Tax credits  

Help with housing costs, Council Tax and heating your home

  • See our Housing and heating costs section for information about Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, help with mortgage payments, help heating your home and extra help from energy suppliers.

Other working age benefits including Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance and Job Seeker's Allowance 

There are other benefits you may be able to claim if you are looking for work or you can’t work because you are ill or disabled. Find out about:

  • Income Support which can help you cover your costs if you’re on a low income.
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - for people who can’t work, or find it very difficult to work, because they are are ill or disabled. Find out more about ESA on
  • You may be able to claim Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) while you are looking for work.  Find out more on or on if you live in Northern Ireland.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. Find out more on In Northern Ireland see For information on how Universal Credit affects carers see

Help with health and care costs

  • You may be able to get help with health and care costs including help paying for dental treatment, free prescriptions and help managing and paying for care and support. 


  • Carer’s Credit is not a benefit but will help make sure you will still have a state pension even if your caring responsibilities mean that you can’t work.
  • Pension Credit is a benefit for people who have reached state pension credit age and are on a low income. Find information, including a Pension Credit Calculator at For more on benefits for carers who are pension age, see Carers UK.

Grants to help with living costs

  • You may be able to apply for extra money from grants or benevolent funds, or get money off your tv licence or car tax. See grants and discounts.

Bereavement benefits

Where to get help and advice with money and benefits

There are lots of organisations that can give you help and advice around money and benefits. Some are specifically for carers while others can give advice to anyone. 

Next update due: October 2020