Date Revised:

Holidays are a good way to recharge your batteries, with or without the person you care for.

There are many options available, some of which are listed below. You should also contact your local carer services to see what other options might be available locally.

  • The Family Fund can provide grants towards the cost of holidays for families on a low income who are caring for a child with a severe disability.
  • The Family Holiday Association provides breaks at holiday sites, or grants to help with the cost of a holiday, to low-income families in need of a holiday away from home. You need to be referred by your social worker, GP or health visitor, or by a charity or other welfare agent.
  • The Children's Country Holiday Fund provides respite breaks in the countryside for young carers aged 6 to 16 and disadvantaged children and young people.
  • The Kiloran Trust has a house in west London for carers to stay in with the person they care for.
  • Kites Rise at Carers Trust Tyne and Wear Crossroads Carer Services is a short break residential facility in West Gateshead for up to 12 people across 5 bedrooms. 
  • Ogilvie Charities fund breaks for carers.
  • Revitalise respite holidays for disabled people and carers. 
  • Saga Respite for Carers Trust offers a limited number of free holidays each year to unpaid carers over the age of 50, giving them a break from their caring responsibilities.