Date Revised:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults has now been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance (AA) in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In Northern Ireland this is a very recent change as Personal Independence Payment (PIP) only replaced DLA for people aged 16 to 64 years from 20 June 2016.

In all regions of the UK you can still apply for DLA for children under 16.

Claiming Carer's Allowance

If the person you care for gets Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.  If they don’t, and they don’t qualify for Attendance Allowance (AA) or Personal Independance Payment (PIP) daily living component, then you won’t be able to apply for Carer’s Allowance even if you meet all the other conditions.

DLA and other benefits

If the person you care for claims DLA they may find that their other benefits increase. They may get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

This can be very complicated so use our online benefits calculator (suppllied by Turn2us) or speak to your local carer service to see if they have anyone who can advise you and the person you care for.  Alternatively get in touch with your local Citizen’s Advice.  

Claiming Carer’s Credit

If the person you care for claims DLA at the middle or higher rate you may be able to claim Carer's Credit.  Carer’s Credit pays National Insurance contributions on your behalf so that you don’t miss out on your state pension later because of your caring responsibilities.

Other support if you get DLA

The person you care for may also be able to apply for:

Next update due: June 2017