Date Revised:

A carer's assessment is a chance to discuss your needs with your local council.

The assessment is free and your local council will use it to decide what support to give you.

Don't be put off by the word 'assessment'. It is not a test about how good you are at caring. It is to work out what can be done to make life easier for you. No one will judge you.

The assessment is usually a face to face meeting with someone from your local council, or from another organisation on behalf of your local council.

In Scotland, a carer's assessment (for adults) is called an Adult Carer Support Plan. Your council might still refer to it as a carer's assessment.

How to get a carer's assessment

In some areas other organisations may carry out the assessment for the local council but you should still contact your local council to ask for one.

Find your local council on and get in touch with them to find out more.

If your circumstances change you can ask for your assessment to be done again. 

This is particularly important if you can no longer provide the same level of care you have done in the past or if the needs of the person you care for change.

Is it hard to find time for your partner?

Before you have your carer’s assessment have a think about how caring affects you and your partner. Are you so exhausted by your caring role that there’s very little emotional energy left for your partner?  Or perhaps you look after your partner and your relationship is adjusting what this means for you both.  

Have a look at our new relationship guide for carers.  It include loads of information about how to maintain health relationships and top tips about how to do this.  Ideas in here might be able to help you say more clearly during your assessment what could be done to help support your caring role and your relationships.

Find out more about relationships with your partner, family and friends.

Next update due: June 2017