Date Revised:

There may come a time when the person you care for can no longer be looked after at home and may need to move permanently into a care home.

Moving into a care home is a big decision. Ask for an assessment from your local council for the person you care for to help you work out if a care home would be the best option for them.  You should also make sure you have had a carer’s assessment so that your needs can also be considered.
There are different sorts of care homes:

  • Residential or rest homes –provide help with personal care.
  • Nursing homes – also have qualified nursing staff who can provide care. 
  • Specialised care homes for adults – care for older people, people with dementia or adults with learning disabilities.
  • Care homes for children with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or emotional problems.
  • Short term or respite care – some care homes welcome people who might not want to move in permanently.

For more information about care homes visit NHS Choices.