Moving into a care home is a big decision. Ask for an assessment from your local council for the person you care for to help you work out if a care home would be the best option for them. You should also make sure you have had a carer’s assessment so that your needs can also be considered.
There are different sorts of care homes:
- Residential or rest homes –provide help with personal care.
- Nursing homes – also have qualified nursing staff who can provide care.
- Specialised care homes for adults – care for older people, people with dementia or adults with learning disabilities.
- Care homes for children with physical disabilities, learning disabilities or emotional problems.
- Short term or respite care – some care homes welcome people who might not want to move in permanently.
For more information about care homes visit NHS Choices.