Date Revised:

You might need support to cope if you are caring for someone with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) or ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) refer to a range of problems with attention span which prevent children from learning and socialising properly.

If you care for someone with ADHD or ADD they may be impulsive, restless, hyperactive and inattentive. These can be difficult to cope with and you may find it helpful to:

  1. Find out as much as you can about the condition the person you care for has. Try reading, attending talks and conferences, or joining support groups or online communities. You could also include the person you care for if you think they are old enough.
  2. Find other people who can help you and let them know what you are feeling and how they could help you. This could include your GP, support group worker, teacher, or other family members.
  3. Anticipate problems and set achievable plans and targets to speed up your child's progress and give you both a something to work towards. Look for opportunities to support and celebrate your child's strengths too, especially in the non-academic areas. A little encouragement can go a long way.

Find out more about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder on NHS Choices.

You should contact your local carers service and local council to see how they can help. Remember to make sure you have had a carer's assessment.

You may also want to get support from:

Next review due: June 2017